Ratings & Reviews
Rated by 1 visitors
Cold Zucchini Soup with Cinnamon, Cumin and Buttermilk
2 1/2 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon seeded and minced serrano chili pepper
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 cups good quality, low fat buttermilk
sea salt to taste
freshly ground pepper to taste
Garnish: chopped, fresh cilantro or fresh mint
lime or lemon wedges
2. Add the broth to a soup pot, bring it to a boil and add the zucchini.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the zucchini is barely tender and still bright green. Remove from heat and cool.
4. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small, non-stick frying pan. Add the onion, chili pepper, fennel, cinnamon and cumin and saute until onion is soft, but not brown and spices are fragrant.
5. Put both the zucchini and spice mixture into a food processor and pulse until well chopped but still retaining texture. Pour into a bowl and stir in the buttermilk and season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Chill for at least 2 hours. Serve garnished with a sprinkling of cilantro and a few added drops of lemon or lime juice to taste.
Serving Size: 1 cup
Number of Servings: 4
- 15 g
- 5 g
- 2 g
- 5 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1 g
- 333 mg