Cold Tomato and Carrot Soup
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 1/4 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
2 teaspoons each toasted cumin and coriander seeds, ground
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
3 pounds ripe tomatoes, seeded, stemmed and chopped (or 6 cups canned, diced tomatoes in juice)
2 to 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 1/2 cups good quality sherry (fino or amontillado)
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Garnish: light sour cream and either one or a combination of the following fresh herbs: chives, parsley, basil, tarragon
2. Add the spices and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer.
3. Add the tomatoes and 2 cups of stock and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes more or until vegetables are very soft.
4. Cool the mixture slightly and puree in a food processor until smooth. Strain through a moderately coarse strainer to remove seeds and skins from the tomatoes but still leaving enough texture for the soup. Stir in the sherry and more stock if the soup seems too thick.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
6. Serve garnished with a dollop of light sour cream and chopped fresh herbs such as chives, parsley, basil, tarragon or a combination. Can be made 3 days ahead and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Serving Size: 1 cup
Number of Servings: 4
- 26 g
- 8 g
- 6 g
- 4 g
- Saturated Fat
- 1 g
- 602 mg