Ratings & Reviews
Rated by 1 visitors
2 cups bulgur, medium grind
3 1/4 cups water
3 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon olive oil or unsalted butter
1 onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup currants, soaked in hot water
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
2 tablespoons chopped, flat leaf parsley
1 tablespoon chopped, fresh dill or mint, optional
1 tablespoon grated lemon or orange zest
freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring water and salt to a boil, reduce heat and keep warm.
2. Melt butter in or add oil to a large saute pan and cook the onion over moderate heat for 10 minutes or until tender. Add allspice and cinnamon and stir for a minute or two. Then add the bulgur and stir for a few minutes. Add the hot water.
3. Stir once and then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pan and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
4.Turn off heat and let the bulgur continue to absorb the liquid.
5. After 15 minutes, if it's not completely dry, place on a baking sheet and warm in a 350°F oven until grains are separate and dry, about 15-20 minutes.
6. Fold in the well-drained currants and the nuts. Add the herbs, lemon zest and adjust seasoning. Heat through.
Note: You could use this mixture as a stuffing to fill peppers, tomatoes etc.
Serving Size: 6
Number of Servings: 6
|Fat||6 g||Fiber||5 g|
|Protein||5 g||Saturated Fat||1 g|
SEE ALL THE FACTS
This recipe can be personalized for your nutritional needs when you join the FoodFit Plan -- our healthy lifestyle program for lasting weight-loss.