1 1/4 cups egg whites (about 10 large egg whites) at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Sift the flour twice with 1/2 cup of the sugar.
3. With an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form when the mixer is removed from the batter.
4. Add half of the remaining sugar and beat for 1 minute. Add the remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating after each addition.
5. Stir in the vanilla.
6. Fold the flour and sugar mixture into the egg whites, 1/4 cup at a time, just until incorporated.
7. Put the batter in an ungreased 10" tube pan and bake until the cake is a light golden brown and springy to the touch, about 1 hour. Invert the pan and let the cake cool completely before removing from the pan. This can be done in advance and stored in an airtight container for 1-2 days.