1 tablespoon chopped, fresh dill or mint, optional
freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring water and salt to a boil, reduce heat and keep warm.
2. Melt butter in or add oil to a large saute pan and cook the onion over moderate heat for 10 minutes or until tender. Add allspice and cinnamon and stir for a minute or two. Then add the bulgur and stir for a few minutes. Add the hot water.
3. Stir once and then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pan and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
4.Turn off heat and let the bulgur continue to absorb the liquid.
5. After 15 minutes, if it's not completely dry, place on a baking sheet and warm in a 350°F oven until grains are separate and dry, about 15-20 minutes.
6. Fold in the well-drained currants and the nuts. Add the herbs, lemon zest and adjust seasoning. Heat through.
Note: You could use this mixture as a stuffing to fill peppers, tomatoes etc.