1 1/3 cups
,charred, peeled and diced
, seeded and diced (about 3/4 cup)
,sliced on the bias (about 1")
fresh lime or
grated lime or
1 1/2 teaspoons
1 1/2 tablespoons
1. Place the barley in a dry saucepan over moderate heat and toast lightly (about 5 minutes). Stir regularly to prevent burning. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently until liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat, partially uncover and allow the barley to cool before stirring.
2. While the barley is cooking, in a separate pot add the black-eyed peas to lightly salted water and cook until just tender but not mushy, 18-20 minutes. Drain, cool and set aside.
3. In a glass bowl layer the barley, black-eyed peas, pepper, tomatoes, onions and corn.
4. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, zest, garlic, cumin, cilantro and oil along with the drops of honey, salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the salad.
5. To serve: arrange greens on chilled plates and top with the salad mixture.
Serving Size: about 1/2 cup of salad
Number of Servings: 6
Trans Fatty Acid (tfa)
Percent Calories from Protein
Percent Calories from Carbohydrate
Percent Calories from Fat
Vitamin B2 - Riboflavin