2. Heat the olive oil in a 4-quart pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, green pepper and jalapeño pepper, season lightly with black pepper and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
3. Add the bay leaf, beans and broth and bring to a boil quickly over high heat.
4. Lower the heat and simmer until the beans are completely tender, about 40 minutes.
5. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
6. Meanwhile, heat the rice in the microwave.
7. Serve the rice in warm bowls topped with beans and garnished with lime wedges and cilantro leaves.
NOTE: Do not add salt until the beans are fully cooked because salt will prevent them from becoming tender.