1. Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl. (This can be done the night before and kept covered on the counter.)
2. Lightly beat the buttermilk, egg, butter and honey together.
3. Add the liquid ingredients all at once to the flour mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until just moistened. Do not overmix, a few lumps are fine.
4. Warm a lightly greased griddle pan over medium heat. The pan is ready when a few drops of water sprinkled on the griddle form fast-moving bubbles.
5. Pour batter onto the griddle: 1/8 cup for small or 1/4 cup for large pancakes. When the tops of the pancakes are covered with holes and the bottoms are golden brown, flip to brown the other side. Keep warm in the oven.