2. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger in a bowl. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla, carrots and pineapple. Stir a few times to roughly combine the batter.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip the egg and egg white until they are thick and frothy, about 5 minutes. Fold the whipped eggs into the batter, do not overmix.
4. Fill each baking cup 2/3 full. Bake until a skewer inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Allow the cupcakes to cool for 5 minutes before removing them from the pan.
5. Let the cupcakes cool completely.
For the cream cheese icing:
1. In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla together until the mixture is smooth.
2. Using a spoon or spatula, spread the icing on top of the cooled cupcakes. Store the cupcakes in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Makes 12 standard sized cupcakes or 24 miniature cupcakes.