2. Toast the walnuts in the oven until they are fragrant, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. Place the butter in a mixing bowl and beat at high speed with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat until the mixture is pale yellow and very fluffy.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing on low speed.
5. Stir in the cinnamon, black pepper, orange zest and carrots.
6. Process the cooled walnuts briefly in a food processor until they are finely chopped.
7. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
8. Stir in half the flour mixture. Stir in the pineapple and walnuts. Stir in the rest of the flour mixture. The batter should be smooth, but do not overmix.
9. Coat two 9" loaf pans with nonstick spray. Pour the batter into the pans.
10. Bake until the loaves are golden brown and set in the center, about 30 to 35 minutes.