canned crushed Italian
or other small, shaped pasta
, escarole or kale
1. Remove and discard the skin from the chicken breasts and place the breasts in a large soup pot. Add the chicken broth, bring it to a boil and reduce the heat so that the broth just simmers. Simmer until the chicken is thoroughly cooked, about 15 minutes. Remove the chicken and transfer to a plate to cool.
2. Skim the fat from the broth and bring it back to a boil. Add the tomatoes, onion, carrots, celery and red pepper. Simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the orzo or other pasta and cook for 5 to 8 more minutes, until the pasta is al dente.
4. Meanwhile, discard the bones from the chicken and chop the meat into small pieces.
5. Add the chicken, spinach, parsley and oregano to the soup pot and simmer for another minute or two. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in warm soup bowls with a thick slice of Italian bread.
Serving Size: 1 large bowl
Number of Servings: 8
Trans Fatty Acid (tfa)
Percent Calories from Protein
Percent Calories from Carbohydrate
Percent Calories from Fat
Vitamin B2 - Riboflavin
Vitamin B3 - Niacin