1 1/2 cups
1 1/4 pounds
, peeled and chopped
and coriander seeds, ground
, seeded, stemmed and chopped (or 6 cups canned, diced tomatoes in juice)
2 to 3 cups
or vegetable stock
2 1/2 cups
(fino or amontillado)
1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot and add the onion, garlic and carrots. Cook over moderate heat until the vegetables are soft but not browned.
2. Add the spices and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer.
3. Add the tomatoes and 2 cups of stock and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes more or until vegetables are very soft.
4. Cool the mixture slightly and puree in a food processor until smooth. Strain through a moderately coarse strainer to remove seeds and skins from the tomatoes but still leaving enough texture for the soup. Stir in the sherry and more stock if the soup seems too thick.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
6. Serve garnished with a dollop of light sour cream and chopped fresh herbs such as chives, parsley, basil, tarragon or a combination. Can be made 3 days ahead and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Serving Size: 1 cup
Number of Servings: 4
Percent Calories from Protein
Percent Calories from Carbohydrate
Percent Calories from Fat