, either basmati or long-grain
1. In a large, shallow saucepan combine the chicken broth, pinch of salt and peppercorns. Add the chicken breasts and, if necessary, enough water to cover them. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the chicken cool in the liquid.
2. Remove the chicken from the cooking liquid and cut it into cubes. Strain the broth and reserve it.
3. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and bay leaf and cook until the onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the apples and cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in the curry powder and flour and cook for 5 minutes more. (Add a tablespoon or 2 of the reserved cooking liquid if the mixture gets too dry to keep it from burning.)
4. Slowly whisk in the remaining cooking liquid, turn the heat to low, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
5. When ready to serve, add the cubed chicken and cook until the chicken is thoroughly heated, about 10 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
6. Put the garnishes in separate dishes and put them on the table so that everyone can help themselves. Serve the curried chicken over rice on individual plates.
Serving Size: 1/2 cup rice with chicken
Number of Servings: 6
Trans Fatty Acid (tfa)
Percent Calories from Protein
Percent Calories from Carbohydrate
Percent Calories from Fat
Vitamin B2 - Riboflavin
Vitamin B3 - Niacin