2. In a small bowl, mix the raisins, walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg together.
3. Wash and core the apples using an apple corer or a small knife.
4. In a baking dish, arrange the apples with the tops up. Fill each apple with one-fourth of the raisin mixture.
5. Pour water into the baking dish to the depth of 1/2".
6. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Baste the apples once or twice with the cooking liquid. The apples are done when they still hold their shape and yield to a knife when pierced. Serve the apples when they are cooled slightly.
7. To warm in the microwave: Place the apple in a microwave-safe dish and microwave on low for 1 minute at a time, until warm. Caution: Parts of the apple can get very hot!