2. Rinse the chicken under cold water and pat it dry with paper towels. Tuck several slivers of garlic underneath the chicken skin.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the lemon zest, thyme, rosemary, sage, a genourous pinch of salt and 1/2 teaspoon coarsley ground black pepper. Rub this mixture evenly inside the cavity of the chicken. Sprinkle the lemon juice inside the cavity.
3. Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan. Rub the outside of the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle the skin with salt and pepper.
4. Place the chicken in the oven and roast until the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a knife, about 1 hour.
5. Transfer to a serving platter and let rest 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the skin and carve the chicken. Garnish with lemon and herb sprigs and serve.