2. Heat the oil in a heavy soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sear the meat on all sides. Adjust the heat so that the meat browns well, but does not burn.
3. Add the onions, peppers, mushrooms, garlic and bay leaf and cook 2 minutes more. Sprinkle the paprika into the pot and stir well to combine.
4. Add the red wine. Stir with a wooden spoon to release any caramelized bits that may be stuck to the bottom of the pan and cook until the wine is almost completely evaporated.
4. Add the tomatoes and the beef broth and bring to a boil. Adjust the heat so that the stew simmers and cook until the meat is tender, about 1 hour.
5. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, remove the bay leaves and serve in a deep tureen.