2. Heat a heavy skillet or saute pan and toss the egg coated kasha over medium heat, stirring often, until the grains become separate and give off a nutty, toasty aroma. Do not let them burn.
3. Bring the water or broth to a boil and add the hot kasha and half the butter or oil. Cover the pan and cook over very low heat until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. While the kasha cooks, warm the remaining butter or oil in a sauté pan, add the onion and cook over medium heat until soft and golden, about 15 minutes.
5. Boil the pasta bow ties in salted water for about 10 minutes. Drain well.
6. Combine the pasta, onion and kasha in a warm bowl and season with salt to taste. Serve hot.