1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the lentils. Lower the heat and simmer until the lentils are cooked through but not mushy, about 30 to 40 minutes. Set aside.
2. When the lentils have cooled, drain and toss with the chopped onions and peppers.
For the Mango Chutney:
1. Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, ginger and mangoes and cook until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Add the jalapeño pepper, sugar, orange juice and vinegar and simmer for about 20 minutes.
3. Stir in the cilantro, taste and add several twists of freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste. Cool to room temperature.
4. Toss the chutney with the lentil salad.