2. Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a braising pan or stew pot. Add the shanks and brown well on all sides.
3. Remove the shanks from the pan and sauté the carrots, onions, shallots and mushrooms, stirring occasionally until lightly browned, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook about 1 to 2 minutes more.
4. Add the red wine and tomato puree, and simmer until the volume has reduced by half, about 6 to 8 minutes.
5. Add the stock, browned shanks, bay leaves and thyme, and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook in the oven until the meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
6. Meanwhile, combine the ricotta cheese with the basil and mint. Set aside.
7. Strain and reserve the stock and keep the shanks warm on the side. Return the strained stock to the stove and simmer until the volume has reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
8. Heat the beans in the sauce.
9. Place each shank in the center of a large warm bowl. Pour the sauce and beans over and around the shanks. Spoon the ricotta mixture on top of the beans.