2. Bring 1/2 gallon of salted water to boil. Add the penne and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
3. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers and onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more. Add the turkey sausage, season with pepper, and brown. Drain off the excess fat.
4. Add the diced tomatoes and their juice, and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. In a casserole dish, toss the penne, sauce and basil together. Sprinkle with the cheeses. (This can be made ahead and stored unbaked in the refrigerator up to 2 days, or it can be frozen.)
6. Bake until the cheese is bubbly and brown and the dish is thoroughly heated, about 15 to 20 minutes; bake longer if the dish has been refrigerated.