1. Bring 1/2 gallon of salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook until al dente, about 7 to 9 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, bring the chicken stock to a boil in a skillet large enough to hold the vegetables. Add the vegetables to the chicken stock and steam, covered for about 3 to 4 minutes.
3. When the vegetables are just tender, add the cooked penne and the olive oil and toss until it is heated through.
4. Divide the pasta and vegetables evenly among 4 warmed plates or bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and basil.
5. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.Serving Size: about 1 1/2 cups pasta and vegetables