2. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook until the apple is tender when pierced with a knife, about 20 minutes. (Apples can be made ahead and stored in their syrup in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. The flavors will intensify.)
3. Remove the apple from the liquid and set aside. Continue to simmer the liquid for about 30 minutes, until it has a syrup-like consistency. Discard the cinnamon stick and cloves. Keep warm.
4. Cut the apple in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and core with a melon baller or small spoon. Remove any additional core using a small paring knife.
5. Slice the apple halves lengthwise and arrange the slices on plates. Spoon the warm syrup on and around the apples.
6. Garnish with a pinch of ground cinnamon.