2. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a separate medium-sized pot. Add the onion and cook until it turns translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the rice to the onion mixture, stir and turn the heat to low. Add about 1 cup of the hot broth to the rice mixture, and stir slowly until the broth is absorbed.
4. Continue to add the broth 1 cup at a time, stirring slowly, letting the rice absorb the broth before adding more.
5. While the risotto is cooking, blanch the asparagus in boiling salted water until just tender, about 2 minutes. Drain.
6. The risotto is cooked when it is creamy on the outside and slightly firm (al dente) in the center, about 20 to 25 minutes in all. Stir in half of the Parmesan cheese and half of the asparagus. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If the risotto is too thick, add a little more broth until it becomes creamy.
7. Divide the risotto into serving dishes and sprinkle with the remaining cheese and asparagus.