2. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
3. Lay 2 sage leaves on one side of each breast and fasten them to the breast with a toothpick, weaving in and out as if you were making a stitch. The toothpicks should lie flat.
4. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and lay them on a baking sheet.
5. Rub both sides of the chicken breasts with the oil.
6. Whack the garlic cloves with the flat side of a knife and scatter them over the chicken.
7. Cover the baking sheet tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
8. Heat one or 2 large, nonstick or well-seasoned cast-iron skillets over medium-heat.
9. Add as many of the chicken pieces, sage side down, as will fit in a single layer.
10. Cook until well-browned on the underside, about 2 minutes. Turn the chicken and cook until the other side is browned and no trace of pink remains in the center, about 1 to 2 minutes.
11. While you're cooking the rest of the pieces, keep the chicken warm on a baking sheet in the oven (set on the lowest setting).
12. Serve immediately.