fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried
Basic Chicken Stock (see recipe)
, or low-sodium canned broth
2 2/3 cups
dried split peas
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over low heat. Add the carrot, celery, onion and thyme, season lightly with pepper and cook for 10 minutes.
2. Add the stock and split peas, and bring to a boil quickly over high heat.
3. Lower the heat and simmer until the peas are tender, about 1 hour.
4. Puree 2/3 of the soup in a blender and stir it into the remaining 1/3.
5. If the soup is too thick, thin it by adding a little more stock. Raise the heat and bring the soup to a boil for 15 seconds.
6. Add salt and additional pepper to taste.
NOTE: Do not add salt until the peas are fully cooked, because salt will prevent the peas from becoming tender.
Serving Size: about 1 cup
Number of Servings: 8
Trans Fatty Acid (tfa)
Percent Calories from Protein
Percent Calories from Carbohydrate
Percent Calories from Fat
Vitamin B2 - Riboflavin