2. Put about 2 inches of water in a large pot and insert a rack or steam basket into the pot. Bring the water to a boil. Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath.
3. Place the artichokes on the rack and steam uncovered, until the bottom is tender and the outer leaves can be pulled off easily, about 25 to 30 minutes.
4. Remove the artichokes from the rack with a large spoon and plunge them into the ice bath.
5. Drain and refrigerate until serving time.
6. Place one whole artichoke on 4 chilled plates and serve with a lemon wedge over each artichoke.