6 to 8 cups
or water, as needed
1. To bake the squash preheat the oven to 400°F. Prick each squash with the point of a knife so it won't explode when it bakes. Bake for about an hour, until the squash feels somewhat soft to the touch and a knife penetrates the skin easily.
2. Let the squash cool until you can handle them without pain. Then cut them in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Scoop out the pulp and reserve.
3. Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over moderate heat.
4. Add the onion and cook until tender and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the spices and cook a few minutes longer.
5. Add the reserved squash and stock or water, bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
6. Puree the soup. Add the milk and season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Put soup back in the pot and add the rice and warm through. Add stock or water as needed. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Serving Size: 1 bowl
Number of Servings: 6
Percent Calories from Protein
Percent Calories from Carbohydrate
Percent Calories from Fat
Vitamin B2 - Riboflavin